What is Business Communication?
Business communication is the process of sharing information between people within and outside a company. For a company secretary, proper communication is very important as he is the person who communicate with various departments within the organisation, outside the organisation and general public.
Effective business communication is how employees and management interact to reach organizational goals. Its purpose is to improve organizational practices and reduce errors. Business communication plays a big role in the success of an organisation.
The importance of business communication also lies in:
- Presenting options/new business ideas
- Making plans and proposals (business writing)
- Executing decisions
- Reaching agreements
- Sending and fulfilling orders
- Successful selling
- Effective meetings
All organized activity in a company relies on the process of business communication. This could be anything from managerial communication to technical communication with vendors. Effective communication is very important while communicating within the organisation, among the employees, among management, with regulatory authorities, governments both national and international.
And once communication becomes unclear, the company’s core systems risk falling apart.
Paper-1 (Business Communication) Syllabus :
Objective: To test the knowledge of the candidates pertaining to essentials of English Grammar and critical aspects of Business Communication.
Marks: Total Marks is 50.
- Essentials of Good English
- English Grammar and its usage-Noun, Pronouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs, Prepositions, Conjunctions, Interjection, Voice, Articles, Tenses, Prefix and Suffix, Punctuations etc.
- Enriching Vocabulary-Choice of words, Synonyms and Antonyms
- Common errors in English
- Words with multiple meaning
- One-word substitution
- Words frequently mis-spelt
- Idioms and phrases
- Para jumbles
- Sentence completion
- Sentence arrangement
- Sentence correction
- Foreign words and phrases commonly used
- Comprehension of passage and art of Summarizing
- Concept of Communication, Meaning and Significance of Good Communication
- Business Communication- Principles and Process
- Means of Communication- Written, Oral, Visual, Audiovisual
- Choice of Modes of Communication
- Communication Networks- Vertical, Circuit, Chain, Wheel, Star
- Commonly used Mediums of Digital Communication- Email, SMS, Voice mail, Multimedia, Teleconferencing, Mobile Phone Conversation, Video Conferencing etc.
- Listening Skills-Types, Purpose, Steps to Effective Listening, Barriers to Effective Listening and Ways to overcome the Barriers
- Barriers to Effective Communication and Ways to overcome the Barriers
- Business Correspondence
- Business Letters – Its Essentials, Parts, Types, Salutations
- Positive Messages, Negative Messages and Persuasive Messages
- Business Reports, Inter and Intra-departmental Communication- Office Orders, Office Circulars, Memorandum, Office Notes, Management Information System (MIS)
- Concept of Web, Internet and E-correspondence
- Intranet- Benefit and Purpose
- Email – Features, Procedure to Write a Formal Email, Email Etiquettes
- Essential Elements of Email- Subject line, Formal Greeting, Target Audience (Reader), Clarity and Conciseness, Formal Closing, Proof reading, Feedback
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Email
- Common Business Terminologies
- Terms defined under various Laws, Rules and Regulations including Financial and Non-Financial terms and expressions.
When a student completely study this paper, he/she will be able to avoid common mistakes, use general commercial and legal usage of communication, understand various communication methods and use effectively, understand legal and formal terminology of communication.