Company Secretary course is one of the premier professional qualification one can obtain if looking for a bright career in corporate Management.
Company secretary course is offered by The Institute of Company secretaries of India, an institution set up by Government of India, by an act of Parliament. This is a part-time course, and there is no need to go to any college or university to complete this, a perfect home study can do.This is not just a prestigious course but is financially rewarding also.
Position of a company secretary
The position of a company secretary is considered to be one of the respectable position in the corporate hierarchy and is also one of the important position.
He acts as the mediator between the company and the Board of Directors, Shareholders, Government, general public and regulatory authorities. A Company Secretary is responsible to ensure that the organisation is fully compliant with the rules and regulations of the land. A company secretary is the compliance officer of the company and guides the Management of the company, how to run the company in compliance and effectively.
Statutory requirement to appoint a Company Secretary
As per the Companies Act 2013, it is mandatory that every company which have a paid up share capital of 10 crore or above should have a whole time company secretary. Only the member of the institute can be appointed as Company Secretary.
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India have developed a regulated mechanism to ensure professionalism among the members. There is a system by which continuous learning and knowledge updation is guaranteed.
Eligibility for the course
The minimum eligibility criteria for starting learning the qualification is 10+2 examination. There are three stages to complete the course and these are
- Foundation Level
- Executive Level
- Professional Level
If the candidate is starting this course after the completion of graduation, they can straight away start with executive level and there is no need to do the foundation level.
Practical Training requirements
To ensure that, every candidate who is passing out from the Institute have adequate on hand experience to face the corporate challenges, the Institute stipulated a training mechanism. Unless otherwise the candidate complete the mandatory training requirements, they will be not certified as a qualified company secretary.
The Institute has stipulated the following training requirements for successfully completing the course
- There should be 15 days Academic Programme which includes 2 days induction, 3 days e-governance, 5 days skill development and 5 days entrepreneurship.
- long-term training requirement is as follows.
– 3 years training on registration to Executive programme
– 2 years after passing the Executive programme
– 1 year after passing the Professional Programme.
3. 15 days Management Skill Orientation Programme after completion of all trainings or exemption there from.
Apart from the above academical requirements, there are some qualities to become a Company Secretary.
- Candidate must be fully dedicated and skilled. Unless otherwise it is dream, the course will be difficult.
- Should have clear moral character is also important.
- There should be a mind to go into detail to understand situations and react accordingly.
- A good understanding that the course is not an easy one, and the success will be the result of real hardwork.